Moving parts in Make

General discussion of OMAX Intelli-MAX software.
tbassler

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 am

I am new to the OMAX software, and I was wondering how I can move or change a parts location in Make. For example if I am cutting out a circle, it gets put as close to X,Y zero as possible no matter where it was in reference to X,Y zero in Layout.
Carl O
OMAX Employee

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:42 pm

It is simple: Move your nozzle (using the green arrows or similar tools in MAKE). The path ALWAYS starts from wherever the nozzle is when you hit the "begin" button, and then it just traces out the path you made.

This means that it is important when pathing in LAYOUT to consider where you want the path to start relative to the nozzle. You will notice that many of the sample parts start with a traverse that begins in the lower left corner of the path. That makes it very easy, for example, to move your nozzle to the lower left of the material (or the lower left of the area where you want to start) and just hit "begin machining".

I would recommend just doing the above, as it quickly becomes pretty intuitive. However, if you want to get fancy with it, and say specify a specific XY location to start from, then in LAYOUT you can draw your very first traverse to start at the (0,0) point in LAYOUT, and draw your part where you want it to be on the machine, and then in MAKE, before you hit begin, move your nozzle to the machine zero location by either re-homing the machine, or setting that location as the "user home", and saying "go to user home" when you want to start from there. I would personally reserve this technique for special cases, though, as now where you cut your path is baked into the path itself, making it awkward to make a second one in a different spot on your material.

See also in discussions: How do I locate my cut to an existing part
tbassler

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Makes total sense now, I figured I was just missing something simple. Part of the problem I was running into was when cutting out really thin materials the nozzle to work distance would make it where the nozzle would hit the square.
Thanks for your help.