What software do I need to use this machine?

General discussion of OMAX Intelli-MAX software.
NinjaBatman

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am

What software do I need to use the machine? Does it come with the software I need? Is there third party software that I also might need to buy, or that maybe is recommended?

Carl O
OMAX Employee

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 pm

All the software you you need to go from an idea in your head to a finished cut part is included with the machine. That would be:
  • ProtoMAX LAYOUT - A simple CAD drawing application that you can draw parts in from scratch, or input drawings from other sources, and then turn them into tool paths.
  • ProtoMAX MAKE - The machine tool control software for positioning the machine and executing tool paths.
  • Other utilities: There are a few other utilities included with the ProtoMAX software that are not necessary, but advanced users might take advantage of such as the script editor for extending the capabilities of the software.
The ProtoMAX is also highly compatible with many third party solutions. For example, you can do all your tool path creation in AutoDesk Fusion 360, MasterCAM, or other CAM programs. Or, leverage the great curve drawing tools from the free program Inkscape, or programs like Adobe Illustrator, and Corel Draw, and use LAYOUT to make the final tool path. You do not have to use OMAX Layout to do your CAD and CAM work, though it is often convenient to do so, and LAYOUT contains some water-jet specific features that are handy time savers.