File compatibility with other waterjets?

General discussion of OMAX Intelli-MAX software.
NinjaBatman

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 am

Are the files I make for the ProtoMAX compatible with other waterjet machines?

For example, can I make some parts on the ProtoMAX, and then send the tool path file to my local job shop to make it in higher production, or maybe make parts that are larger than I can make on my machine?
Kimball S
OMAX Employee

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

ProtoMAX LAYOUT creates DXF files, which are widely accepted by Machine Tool Manufacturers, including water jets and CAD drawing software
Carl O
OMAX Employee

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Compatibility with OMAX brand waterjets (OMAX, MAXIEM, GlobalMAX, ProtoMAX):

Any tool path file created in the ProtoMAX software can be run on any GlobalMAX, MAXIEM, or OMAX branded machine directly and without conversion. They all share the same file format. So, if you made a few widgets, and want to send them to an OMAX job shop for high production, then just send them your existing path.

Most files created on OMAX, GlobalMAX or MAXIEM branded machines can also be run on the ProtoMAX, provided that the file does not ask for a feature that the ProtoMAX does not support. (For example, the ProtoMAX does not support a tilting head, and can not make parts larger than the machine).

Compatibility with non-OMAX waterjets:

Some .ORD based tool path files, and most DXF, DWG, AI, and SVG CAD files from other waterjet machines can be imported directly into the ProtoMAX.

Additionally, the ProtoMAX software can import a wide variety geometry from most any CAD system, artistic drawing program, etc. See the File Formats Supported by ProtoMAX discussion, because many CAD and artistic file formats can also be imported directly and quickly turned into ProtoMAX tool paths.

Finally, as an advanced topic, it's possible to write your own file import filters to import just about any file type using the scripting engine and provided templates built into the ProtoMAX software. For example, a g-code file importer sample template is provided, that can be adapted to import g-code from various machines.

So, yea, it's super compatible!