Xmas Tree votive candle holder

Made something amazing? Show everyone here.
pfeller

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 am

I had a bit of time on my hands and wanted to create something for the holiday. Something that would look kind of cool even with my clumsy attempts at art. My thought would be to make some little thing that I could set on my mantel. Then I realized, I'm working with metal, I could add a candle to it without too much concern. Viola! the thought of the Xmas Tree votive candle holder came to me.

This piece uses only basic geometric shapes. Triangles, Circles and a Rectangle. That's it and it did indeed turn out pretty cool.
I used Layout and installed the 'Triangle from 3 sides' plugin. This made making the triangles super easy.

Using the plugin I made three triangles, 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 inches. I then overlapped them to form the shape of a tree. Using Divide Lines button I connected the overlapping lines so that I could safely delete only the inner lines, leaving only the outer shape. Yep, starting to look like an xmas tree alright.

Next I added a rectangle to the bottom of it to provide a base that would be bent back at a right angle, this is where the votive candle will sit.
After that I create 3 different sized circles, made a copy (or two, or three) of them and randomly placed them inside the tree shape.
Woot! it looks like a nice little Xmas tree.
The attachment FinishedCircles.PNG is no longer available
Since it all looked good, it was time to add an 'autopath' and open it up in Make.
I found some 1/8" stainless steel (I *DO NOT* recommend using this thick of stainless) Better would be 1/16" stainless or maybe a 1/8" aluminum.
Got started on the cut and did a quick polish with a polishing wheel, a short time later this is what I had.
(notice the 'trunk' was bent back, I'll be placing the votive candle on that)
FinishedCircles.PNG