Cutting Coprelite, millions of years in the making

Made something amazing? Show everyone here.
ProtoMAX Master

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Hey everyone, I had an interesting question asked to me the other day. Amy Grant of Wunderland Curiosities ask me if I can cut some sh... poo out for her on a ProtoMAX. I replied, absolutely it can cut anything you want. She said "great, cut me some!" and handed me a box of just that, 4 pieces of Coprelite (fossilized dinosaur dung). I got to work right away, trying to figure out what the best way to slice it was. I decided on selecting Granite Labrador Golden (Brazil) [492] as the material type. It looked more of a Granite Brachiosaurus Chocolate (Colorado) [155mil BC]. However, that was the closest material type I could find. I figured if the cut pooped out I could just try again. I made a path zigzagging a slit quality of 3, spaced out .25" away from each other. I had no way to determine if there was enough fiber or iron to hold it together so I made sure to slice it thick. I used the Cutting Bed Kit and a hot glue gun for fixturing. The regular Slat bed would have let it slip through the cracks. Once it was secured safely, I let it rip. The larger pieces came out great. The smaller pieces explode due to the 30k pressure. One of many great reasons the ProtoMAX has a blast shield on it. After the Coprelite path finished, I opened the lid and was very excited. The slices stayed in place thanks to the hot glue under it. After pulling them out I started polishing the larger pieces by wet lapping them. I started with p600 paper, and slowly moved all the way up too p2000. I wanted to make sure they were highly polished. The results were amazing, you could almost see yourself in it. Plant matter and Iron deposits were visible allowing the identification of herbivore/carnivore. Well you can see for your self in the pictures. I am heading back to work, Its been a gas and I hope you all enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it!
CopreliteWhole.jpg
Attachments
WetPolishingCoprelite.jpg
CopreliteSliced.jpg
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:50 pm

ProtoMAX advances the scientific study of dinosaur dining. I love it. Thanks for sharing.