Cutting unclosed loops

Making the most with your ProtoMAX.
jimdean

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 pm

How does one cut an unclosed loop on the protomax? There are some fonts in the type menu that do that and the line appears to be a dotted one. So there is no entry or exit just starts at one end and cuts to the other.

Carl O
OMAX Employee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm

I am not 100% sure what you refer to, but there are a few things that maybe are helpful here:
  • There is a "slit" quality. When specifying the Quality of 1 to 5, right-click on the button in the Quality toolbar, and note the option for a "slit" for each one. This will show as a dotted line on your screen, and might be what you saw. The difference between a slit and a regular quality is that the slit does not offset to the left or right, and just cuts down the middle with no offset.
  • There is no restriction that would disallow cutting unclosed loops. A tool path is simply a bunch of lines and arcs connected by their endpoints. So, how you draw it, is how it cuts. When you hit the "post" button, it asks you for the start, and then follows from the end point of each entity to the endpoint of the next, sometimes stopping to ask you which way to go at intersections, if it is not obvious the intent.
  • You do not have to use leads for piercing. Those are optimizations that are handy to prevent goobers and to speed up the piercing and such, but you can go straight from a traverse to a slit, if you wish. Note that on a slit, the jet turns on immediately, and motion starts, so the jet may not be fully pierced until a little ways along the slit, so the top of the slit may be longer than the bottom as it makes a \_____/ shaped slit. To minimize that, consider using a higher quality, especially at the endpoints of the slit.
  • If you are opening the fonts as DXF files using "File / Open" as opposed to the font dialog, what you see in the opened DXF file is the original geometry from which the fonts were made, and in that case the slit is used as an invisible entity to help tell the font maker how to draw the font as the user types it in, as opposed to actually being used in the final geometry generated by the font. You can make your own fonts - a topic that we have documentation on by request.
I'm not sure I really understood the question, so the above might not answer it. If so, let me know.

Carl.

jimdean

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks, That was very helpful. However, I can't find the DXF fonts that you referred to. When I open the font folder, it is empty.

Carl O
OMAX Employee

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am

Ok. I thought that is where you found the fonts you mentioned in the first question. Those DXF files are perhaps not distributed in the ProtoMAX flavor of the software. You must have been talking about how they are rendered in the font dialog itself.

At any rate, if you see a red, blue or purple dotted line, it is a "slit" quality, and is accessed by right clicking on the Quality buttons when setting Qualities.