Trailer Winch Mount

Made something amazing? Show everyone here.
Dan M
OMAX Employee

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I needed the ability to easily and temporarily mount an electric winch on the tongue of a small tilt-bed trailer for loading cars. It needed to be mounted high enough to clear the tilt bed securing bolts. I also wanted to change the factory winch mounting from only two center holes to a four bolt pattern to spread out the load and prevent the housing from twisting and fracturing the cast aluminum spool.
IMG_3001.JPG
I first measured the existing bolt pattern from the bottom of the winch and the winch mounting plate and using those dimensions, drew the pattern in ProtoMAX LAYOUT. I determined how high the winch needed to be raised up to clear the tongue bolts and drew the mounting brackets. One pair for the mount and one pair to be welded to the tongue of the trailer.
IMG_3021.JPG
After cutting out these five pieces in ProtoMAX MAKE, I welded two of the brackets to the top plate (the other two will be welded to the tongue of the trailer), and checked for fit against the winch mounting plate.
IMG_3027.JPG
The welded assembly was then bead blasted for better paint adhesion and painted satin black.
IMG_3032.JPG
Finished and painted mount next to partially assembled winch and winch mounting plate.
IMG_3035.JPG
Final assembly showing showing detail.
Last edited by Dan M on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Very ingenious. I really like the fact most if not all the welds will be hidden...nice work.
Carl O
OMAX Employee

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am

Nice work!

Tip: To make holding the pieces together, consider cutting square or rectangular slots, and then corresponding tabs into the mating pieces. That way, they naturally hold themselves together, ready for the weld.
Dan M
OMAX Employee

Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am

Great idea on the slots and tabs! That was a challenge getting them to be perpendicular to the mount when I welded it together.
Dan M
OMAX Employee

Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 am

Updated pictures mounted on trailer tongue.
IMG_3058.JPG
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG