Cutting resolution for fine detail

Making the most with your ProtoMAX.
protocutter42

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Anyone with experience cutting very detailed structures? The abrasive waterjet nozzle has a 0.2032 mm orifice assembly. Are there any specs about the smallest diameter hole that can be bored through a sheet of material (or alternatively, what is the most narrow line width that can be cut)? Are there different nozzles available for detailed work? I'm working mostly with ~1mm thick silicon and glass.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:04 pm

We do have a .021" mixing tube, (.53mm) that will pierce (aka bore) a hole that diameter. This should work better for your application than the standard .76mm mixing tube. The orifice is locked in at .203mm but the controlling kerf width factor is the mixing tube. Part number is 304166. We have found it does work with 80-85 mesh garnet and need to make sure there is optimal set up to prevent clogging. Let us know the specific application you have and we can dive further into this as a potential solution.

Welcoming other thoughts from the community as well.
protocutter42

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:28 pm

I see. Thanks for quick reply. The specific applications vary a bit but a typical application may use a standard silicon wafers (0.5 mm) or glass coverslips (0.2 mm) as a platform material for device fabrication (microfluidics, detector arrays, etc). In some cases, all that is needed are pass-through holes in a pattern but I would like to be able to detail structured shapes at times to reduce mass, facilitate mounting of parts, etc. These patterns can roughly be characterized to their minimum feature size as is often done in lithography: in this case, trying to get down to ~100 microns on corners. There are other methods I use but nothing easy. Was hoping with finer mesh abrasive and different mixing tube ... but sounds well beyond specs.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Interesting; lots of cutting edge critical micro electronic applications. We DO have a ultra high precision, much lower kerf width, industrial abrasive waterjet cutting system called MicroMAX. The system price is incrementally higher but may be worth exploring. If you would like to visit this, might be better to take off line as some of the discussions may enter into the realm of non-disclosure. Feel free to email me direct at dave.fuller@omax.com. We can also continue to explore via the Community. Let us know thoughts.