How to tell Protomax to cut on the center of the line?

General discussion of OMAX Intelli-MAX software.
Jim_T

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am

I have a design that has sharp interior angles on the outside edge and am getting a hole that I don't want at the point of the angle. Here's a photo that shows the problem.

I understand why there is a hole, and I'm trying to figure out how to work around it. One way would be to tell the Protomax to cut on the line rather than on the outside of the line. Is there a way to do that? Is there a better way to avoid this problem? Here's a sample DXF file.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Sorry for the long wait! I just received notice of the posting. I'll advise as soon as able. You can also call 1-818-647-1994
Kimball S
OMAX Employee

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:58 am

Please contact me as that part is really ugly and a crappy cut. If it is a ProtoMAX part I can help you.

Kimball Smith
kimball.smith@omax.com
206-786-3721
I_Make_Stuff

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:31 am

There are two easy ways to have the machine cut on the centerline:
  • Simply enter "0" when it asks for the tool offset in MAKE. The advantage here is that it is crazy easy. The disadvantage here is that it happens for the entire part.
  • Use as "slit" quality in LAYOUT: (This is the better way). Just like you already have Quality of 1 to 5 that offset to the side of the cut, you can choose the same qualities in their "slit" form. To do this, RIGHT+CLICK on the Quality button when specifying a Quality, and choose the slit variation. (Or you can press Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, etc., on the keyboard for Quality 1 Slit, Quality 2 Slit, etc.) Slits will appear on the screen as dashed lines in the same color as the normal Quality.
Your problem does not appear to be one of "need to cut on centerline", though, but more one of "tool offset not applied nicely in the corner". It's hard to say if that is the case or not, but let me give you a couple of good rule of thumbs that can have huge benefits in making tool offsets go nicely:

Tips to avoid Tool offset issues:
  • Avoid tiny entities inside of sharp inside corners. The smaller the entities, and the more of them, and the sharper the inside corner, the more likely the offset is to go wonky. So, just erase and redraw such geometry to simplify things (remove the tiny entities and replace with longer single entity), and inside corners magically offset perfectly.
  • Watch out for perfectly tangent corners where two arcs meet exactly perfectly to make an infinitely sharp point. Every once in a while, these can cause a loop at a corner.
One final piece of advice that can save you a LOT of trouble:

* Use the "Preview" button in MAKE to preview your path to the screen. I cannot emphasize this one enough. This button literally takes the commanded motor motions, and spits them the screen instead of to the motors. Use the "Zoom" tools to zoom in on areas, and run Preview again. If you see goofy behavior on the screen, you absolutely will see the same on your final part, so go back into your CAD and fix it, and try again. What you see is what you get in the Preview, so it is an extremely powerful tool to make sure you have it perfect before hitting "begin", and you can do this in the comfort of your office or whatever.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello Jim_T; wanted to make sure all was operating good after the posting on cutting on centerline. Please let us know if this did not address the question.