Cheap, easy tank cleanout (DIY "BART")

Making the most with your ProtoMAX.
mb300sd

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Made this after I got tired of having to remove the cutting bed and manually shovel out the tank. Essentially a DIY version of the Barton BART system. Total cost was under $200.

Pressure washer sludge pump ~$60
Pressure washer wand extension ~$15
High pressure ball valve ~$30
55 gallon drum ~$10
55 gallon drum dolly ~$35
Various hose and fittings ~$25

Assembly is pretty self explanatory from the image. Drain the tank partially, set the PVC pipe to dump back into it, and insert the sludge pump to suck out all the used garnet. No more mess or exhausting shoveling.
IMG_20200105_011607.jpg
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:34 am

Ingenious. I'll share internally. Thanks for posting!
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Hello, when do you use the cleanout device, e.g., after so many hours of operation, or scheduled time each week / month? Has drum ever filled to the point you have disposed of it and if so, where disposed and was it the full drum or the spent garnet shoveled from drum to trash bags? Thanks for input!
mb300sd

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 pm

I mostly use it when I have small parts fall through the slats and can't find them, then I go ahead and clean out the whole tank. Most of the stuff I've had fall in is big enough to get lodged in the nozzle, but I 3d printed a screen for smaller stuff. I haven't had it fill up yet, but I figure I'll just keep it around until I have a few drums full and figure out what to do with it then. Hopefully I can just trailer it to the dump. I can get used drums cheap enough that it's definitely not worth the effort to reuse them.
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks for the input. You've touched on a few key topics. I imagine there are a few other folks out there that would like to have a parts screen saver; perhaps something that has handles on each side that at least allows you to pull it up clear of the tank water drained as far as possible. Also handy to retrieve washers, mixing tubes, bolts, T Nuts, tools, etc. that may end up in the drink. I like the 3D print concept as it makes sense to use plastic. Another subject is the disposal of garnet. We actually do have folks that take it to cement companies as long as they are separating the material being cut with the Drain Water Filter Tank. The dump is always a good choice. I'd call ahead to tell them what you have so they don;t ask for any testing to occur. Keep us posted...thanks!