Deeper Cutting!

Ideas and feedback for your ProtoMAX.
ProtoMAX Master

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:24 pm

A local business had asked me what's better, a laser or a water jet? That's easy! Waterjets duh! We both laughed, but then got down to business. After listing off about 20 materials we came to a strange one. Petrified Charcoal. I know lasers would stand no chance against that because the piece was rather large. So of course without measuring it I said "I got a ProtoMAX that can cut that". Once I placed the rock on the cutting bed I saw a problem... that turned into a solution. I needed a deeper cutting bed.

For the material I tore down an old pallet for its plywood top and some remnant aluminum plate I found in the scrap bin. Then assembled it with a screw gun.
001.png
Once it was assembled I set it inside the slat bed, it was a very tight fit by design, so it wouldn't bounce around.
002.png
Using this for material with a machine ability number less than 400ish isn't recommended, but after some testing the petrified charcoal was around 500. So it should be just fine. I will show you all how that turned out in the projects area later on. Until then, enjoy.
Attachments
deep cuts.ORD
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
boards.ORD
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Dave F
OMAX Employee

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Very ingenious! ProtoMAX allows cutting up to 3" thick within the cutting models for the software, any material. Check out another drop slat application at:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzI8oZEg26j/ . Thanks for sharing!